Moving into an aged care home is a big change, and we want to make sure that you and your family are making informed decisions. It’s important to have a good understanding of the fees and costs associated with residential aged care, the government assistance that is available, and how to access the right care for you, so we have put together this guide. Support differs from person to person, so the financial options and care available to you will vary depending on your particular situation, the type of aged care you are looking for, and the aged care home you choose.

Types of residential aged care

Residential care

Aged care homes are able to offer more comprehensive support as you get older. They’re designed for people who can no longer live at home for a variety of reasons, such as illness and dementia. At ARRCS, we manage aged care homes in Alice Springs, Darwin and Katherine.

  • Costs

    The costs and fees of living in an aged care home vary depending on the style of accommodation and amenities provided. At ARRCS, we publish the prices and rates for each of our aged care homes and care facilities. There are a few ways you can pay and you may qualify for Australian Government assistance, depending on your assets and income.

    Generally, the cost is divided into three fees:

    • Daily Care Fee: Covers meals, laundry etc and the amount is equivalent to 85% of the pension.
    • Accommodation Fee: Covers accommodation and the amount, if any, depends on your income and assets; it comes in the form of a refundable lump sum, non-refundable daily payments, or a mix of both (hybrid).
    • Means-Tested Fee: This charge is determined by the government and depends on your financial situation.


  • Government assistance

    Government assistance is available to make sure you receive the care you need. Here’s what you need to do:

  • Get started

    Once you understand the costs involved and the government assistance available, there are two main steps to accessing residential aged care:

    1. Get assessed: You will need to register with My Aged Care (MAC) and have an assessment by the Aged Care Assessment Team. You will receive a confirmation letter if you are approved for entry into an aged care home.
    2. Apply to your preferred aged care home: Call our friendly team on 1300 881 510 to get the ball rolling, and when a room is available, you will be given a formal offer through a Permanent Residential Service Agreement.

National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program

Flexible residential care is offered at ARRCS facilities in Tennant Creek, Kaltukatjara (Docker River) and Mutitjulu as part of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program (NATSIFAC), which provides culturally informed aged care to older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people close to home and community. If a non-Indigenous person is accepted by the local community, they may also qualify. Under flexible aged care, we provide you with a mix of residential and home care services in accordance with your needs.

  • Costs
    Flexible aged care is not asset-tested but residents are asked to make a daily payment equal to 85% of their pension.
  • Get started
    Our nursing staff can assess if a person is suited to the program. For more information, contact our friendly staff on 1300 881 510.

Residential respite/Short-term residential care

Residential respite care means a short stay in one of our care facilities or aged care homes. It can be planned, for example to enable your carer to take a break or go on a holiday, or it can be provided in an emergency, where we look after you at short notice, so you can get the assistance you need to get back on track. You can access residential respite for up to 63 days each financial year.

  • Costs
    We will discuss and agree upon the rate you need to pay for respite care before you come to stay with us. There is a basic daily fee to cover day-to-day living costs such as meals and cleaning.
  • Get started
    The first step is to have a free assessment with My Aged Care’s Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. For more information, contact our friendly staff on 1300 881 510.
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.